Family Law

Find out if you are eligible.

Do you need help with a family law matter?

Are you dealing with family breakdown?

We help with matters related to parenting, guardianship, child support, property actions, spousal support, and divorce.

Have you taken the Parenting After Separation course?

We strongly recommend that you take the Parenting After Separation course before you apply for legal aid services.

Have you attended mediation with Resolution and Court Administration Services?

Mediation is when you and your partner meet with a trained mediator who can help resolve your legal issues without going to court. In many cases, we expect you to attend mediation with Resolution and Court Administration Services (RCAS). RCAS family court counsellors may assist you with preparing and filing your documents in provincial court. If your matter is not resolved through RCAS, then you can contact us to apply for a lawyer.

Have you attended Queen’s Bench Family Docket Court?

If you want to proceed with a court application in the Court of Queen’s Bench in Edmonton or Calgary, you will need to attend Queen’s Bench Family Docket Court where the presiding justice will determine the next step for addressing your legal issues. Duty Counsel will be available to assist you.

Have you attended Provincial Court, Family Docket?

If you are proceeding with a court application in the Provincial Court, Duty Counsel will be able to assist you on your court date in certain locations across Alberta including Edmonton, Calgary, Red Deer, Wetaskiwin, Grande Prairie, Fort McMurray, Medicine Hat, and St. Paul.

Has your child become involved with Child and Family Services?

We can help with child welfare matters if your child has been taken away and you have been served with a guardianship or supervision application. Legal Aid Alberta only provides a lawyer for a supervision application if it is not the first time Child and Family Services have requested one or if drug testing is requested.

Has your child been abducted by a parent and taken to a foreign country?

Yes, we assist with Hague matters, however, clients do not apply directly to LAA.  Applications are sent to LAA from Alberta Justice.

Does your child need a lawyer?

We can help provide your child with a lawyer if the court orders a lawyer be appointed for your child in a high conflict family matter.


  • The court has deemed the matter to be a high conflict case.
  • There is a court order requesting LAA to appoint counsel for the child.

There is no financial eligibility requirement in child representation cases, however, child counsel is not a free service. The parents will have to pay for the child’s counsel.

Legal Aid Alberta does not appoint counsel for children in child welfare matters.


Find out if you are eligible.
Find out how we can help you.