Adult Criminal Law

Find out if you are eligible.

Do you need help with an adult criminal law matter?

Are you an adult (age 18+) who has been charged with a crime?

We may be able to help you if you are likely to receive a jail sentence or face deportation consequences.

Do you need help at court?

If you need help at court, we can provide a duty counsel lawyer (a lawyer to help you on the day of court) who can help you set a trial date, speak with the Crown on your behalf, run a bail hearing, explain the nature of your charges, and more. Duty counsel is a free service available to all Albertans, regardless of your income.

Have you been arrested and released?

We can provide a duty counsel lawyer for your first court appearance, free of charge.

Are you being held in jail, or are you in police custody?

You can speak to a duty counsel lawyer by telephone 24/7, free of charge. You have the right to receive free legal advice from a lawyer 24 hours a day. Our reserved phone number is posted in all police stations.

Have you been denied bail or are you awaiting your bail hearing?

If you have been denied bail, you will need to call to apply for legal aid. If you are awaiting your bail hearing, we can provide a duty counsel lawyer who can help you.

Do you need a language interpreter?

When applying for legal aid, you are responsible to find a support person to assist you.

Can I apply for legal aid on behalf of someone else in custody?

No, applications cannot be made on behalf of another person unless you can confirm that you are their court-appointed guardian.

Find out if you are eligible.
Find out how we can help you.