Competition Number: LA-22-52
Job Type: Full-time Permanent
Competition Ends: September 11, 2022
As a publicly funded, non-profit organization, Legal Aid Alberta provides affordable legal services in family law, domestic violence, child welfare, immigration, and youth and adult criminal defense. We are Alberta-wide, with 300 staff and 1,200 private practice lawyers helping people overcome their legal challenges in more than 75 communities across the province.
Working at Legal Aid Alberta means you care about people and empathize with their situation. You have excellent communication skills especially in tough situations. You are an expert in criminal law and can advise clients of their rights and legal obligations in that area. You are a quick thinker, able to provide sound advice and thrive in a fast-paced work environment. You have strong communication and interpersonal skills, enjoy learning new things and can adapt to change quickly. You care deeply about the success of our team and have a solid understanding of our organization’s mission and values.
Reporting to the Legal Services Manager, some of the key responsibilities include:
• Duty Counsel representation in adult and youth criminal courts to professional standards and in accordance with the Rules and Code of Conduct of the Law Society of Alberta and the policies and procedures of LAA.
• Travel to attend various circuit courts on provided schedule (compensation for travel provided).
• Interviewing clients, determining their needs, and providing them advice about their legal options.
• Negotiate release conditions and/or plea arrangements with Crown counsel for clients
• Review and provide legal opinions and summaries in relation to service eligibility for summary offences.
• Complete and accurate statistical record keeping.
• Compliance with office policy and procedures.
• Participate in performance and staff meetings as required.
• Assessment services in youth and adult criminal law.
Education and Experience:
Knowledge and Skills:
Perks of working with us
The successful candidate will be required to provide an acceptable criminal record check.