Appearing in provincial court for the first time? Some changes are coming this spring you need to know about.
Alberta Courts plan to re-open Case Management Offices across the province on Tuesday, April 11.
Legal Aid Alberta
March 31, 2023
Legal Aid Alberta has been made aware that Alberta Court of Justice plans to re-open Case Management Offices across the province on Tuesday, April 11. We are working closely with the Courts to ensure Albertans are supported and know what to do on their first day of court.
Case Management Offices at court
- Case Management Offices (CMOs) are in many provincial courthouses in Alberta.
- CMO staff, employed by the Ministry, are there to help Albertans who are attending court for the first time. They help with court scheduling and connect you with duty counsel for legal advice.
- CMOs will re-open province-wide on Tuesday, April 11. They were closed at the start of the pandemic.
- This means Albertans who have their first court appearance on and after April 11 at a CMO will be expected to attend the courthouse in-person on their court date. Duty Counsel will continue to be available at the courthouses for support on the day of court.
Early Appearance Assistance by phone
- Early Appearance Assistance is a legal support phone line provided by Legal Aid Alberta to help Albertans prepare for court well ahead of time. The service was set up as a response to pandemic court closures and to assist individuals who could not attend courthouses due to these closures.
- To date, the service has been available to Albertans up to two weeks before the first court appearance and on the day of the first court appearance. That will change starting on Tuesday, April 11, 2023.
- When CMOs re-open across Alberta on April 11, Early Appearance Assistance will still be available up to two weeks before your court date but NOT on your scheduled court date. Please attend court as scheduled and visit the CMO for support.
Prior to April 11:
Up to two weeks before your first court appearance or on the day of your first appearance → Call Legal Aid Alberta at 1-866-845-3425 for help with your matter.
After April 11:
On the date of your first appearance → Go directly to your local provincial courthouse for assistance.
Up to two weeks before your first court appearance → Call Legal Aid Alberta at 1-866-845-3425 to complete your application and be provided access to brief legal advice and guidance before your court date.
Where to find more information
Alberta Courts Case Management Offices
Legal Aid Alberta Early Appearance Assistance