Addictions Helpline

The Addiction Helpline is a toll free confidential service which provides alcohol, tobacco, other drugs and problem gambling support, information and referral to services. The Addiction Helpline operates 24 hour a day, seven days a week and is available to all Albertans.
Toll free: 1-866-332-2322

Centre Albertain D'information Juridique (Alberta Legal Information Centre)

The Centre is operated by the French-speaking Legal Professionals Association of Alberta and provides legal information, guidance and support in both official languages that is confidential and free to persons facing a civil, criminal or administrative law issue.
Toll free: 1-844-266-5822

Alberta Limited Services Legal Project

The Limited Legal Services Project is about helping lawyers provide more limited legal services to more clients, and about letting people who might not otherwise be able to hire a lawyer know that other options are available. Check out their Guide for Clients which is intended to help clients understand the legal service options available, and whether limited legal services are right for you. The site also provides a listing of Alberta lawyers participating in the Limited Legal Services Project.

Alberta Native Friendship Centres Association

There are 21 Native Friendship Centres throughout Alberta. The Friendship Centres have a strong understanding of the needs of the urban Indigenous community. While bound together with a common vision, member Friendship Centres are autonomous and are responsible to respond to needs as identified by their communities. The range of programs and services offered varies greatly and includes, but is not limited to, accredited alternative schools, daycares, youth centres, employment programs, homeless shelters, cultural camps, socio-economic, health promotion and prevention and life skills programs.
Athabasca: 780-675-3086
Bonnyville: 780-826-3374
Cold Lake: 780-594-7526
Fort McMurray: 780-743-8555
Grande Prairie: 780-532-5722
High Level: 780-926-3355
High Prairie: 780-523-4511
Lac La Biche: 780-623-3249
Peace River: 780-624-2443
Slave Lake: 780-849-3039
St. Paul: 780-645-4630

Alberta Shelters

Individuals and families can access emergency shelters and temporary housing when they face family violence or homelessness.
Find a shelter online or Call 2-1-1

Alberta Supports Centers

Call for information and referrals to more than 120 social benefits and services for seniors, work or training, income support, disabilities, bullying, family violence, homelessness, child care subsidy and more.
Toll free:  1-877-644-9992

Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta

The Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta) is the only association of certified translators, court interpreters, and conference interpreters in the province of Alberta.
Edmonton: 780-434-8384; Toll Free (outside Edmonton): 1-888-434-2842

Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta

The Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta (CPLEA) is a public legal education organization dedicated to making information about the law available in readable and understandable language for Albertans. Through a variety of approaches (web, print, presentations, and answering questions) CPLEA helps educate the public to enable them to make better decisions about many aspects of their daily lives.  The Centre is comprised of a multi-disciplinary team of lawyers, librarians, teachers, and web specialists. CPLEA uses a collaborative approach to develop materials and strategies for teaching people about the law. CPLEA does NOT provide legal advice, or answer specific legal questions.
Toll free: 1-844-266-5822

Children's Legal and Education Resource Center (CLERC)

CLERC offers legal advice, information, representation, referrals and services to children and youth across Alberta. Lawyers at CLERC provide representation to young people 19 years of age and under who have nowhere else to turn for legal support.
Phone: 403-207-9029


The purpose of Dial-A-Law is to make you aware of your rights and responsibilities by providing you with general legal information. The topics in the Dial-A-Law series provide general information on a wide variety of legal issues in the Province of Alberta. Dial A Law is easy to use by either phone or computer.
Phone: 1-800-332-1091

Duty Counsel - Legal Assistance at Court

Duty Counsel are lawyers who provide information, guidance and advice to you prior to your court appearance. Duty Counsel helps people who are unrepresented at their court appearance and can offer limited basic services. Depending on the situation, duty counsel may speak to the court on your behalf. This service is free to all Albertans. If you are unrepresented for your first court appearance, go directly to the courthouse where the matter is being heard and ask to speak to duty counsel.

Family Court Counsellors at Alberta Courts

Family Court Counsellors provide services, at no cost, to families who are involved in parenting disputes and are living separate and apart. The service is designed for people who are not represented by a lawyer. Services may include: Information on options and services for resolving family issues; Referrals to services and programs including mediation; Information on the effects of separation and divorce on children; Help to negotiate agreements; Assistance with court applications, arranging court dates and presenting the case in Provincial Court.

Fort McMurray Community Legal Clinic

Book an appointment to receive 30 minutes of legal advice in Fort McMurray from a volunteer lawyer who practices in the area of law you need help with. Free legal advice can be provided on the following legal issues: criminal, family, landlord/tenant, employment, wills/estates, civil law, debt, traffic/bylaw and immigration.
Phone: 587-674-2282

Grande Prairie Legal Guidance

Grande Prairie Legal Guidance (GPLG) provides free legal information and advice to low to moderate income people who have a legal issue but do not qualify for Legal Aid. GPLC can help with the following legal issues: family law, landlord and tenant, employment, debt/contact, traffic/bylaw, wills/estates, criminal law and civil law.
Phone: 780-882-0036

Law Central Alberta

Law Central Alberta is a portal or collection of links to law-related information and educational resources on justice and legal issues of interest to Albertans. Their purpose is to create an educated public who understands their rights and responsibilities under the law, and who knows where to go for legal help and referrals.

Lawyer Referral Service

A program operated by the Law Society of Alberta to assist members of the public in finding a lawyer who will provide the legal services they require. LRS will provide you with the names and telephone numbers of three lawyers practicing in this area.  You may then call one, two, or three of the lawyers to make an appointment with them to talk about your legal issue.
Phone: 403-228-1722 OR Toll-Free: 1-800-661-1095

Mental Health Help Line

Provides toll-free, 24/7 telephone service, which offers help for mental health concerns for Albertans. The help line provides confidential, anonymous service, crisis intervention, information about mental health programs and services and referrals to other agencies if needed.
Toll-Free: 1-877-303-2642

Mental Health Patient Advocate

The MHPA helps people who are or have been detained in hospital under admission or renewal certificates and people under community treatment orders (CTO), and those acting on their behalf, to understand and exercise their rights. The MHPA is not part of a provincial health authority, hospital, clinic, or treatment team. The services are free of charge. 
Phone: 780-422-1812 OR Toll Free: 310-0000 then 780-422-1812

Native Counselling Services

If you have been charged with a crime, are involved with Children's Services, or are under 18 and in trouble with the law, an NCSA court worker can help you. They are not lawyers and cannot provide legal advice but they can help guide you through the court process and connect you to resources in the community.
Athabasca: 780-675-9495
Cold Lake: 780-594-1914
Fort McMurray: 780-743-1888
Grande Cache: 780-827-3800
Grande Prairie: 780-532-9359
High Level: 780-926-3159
High Prairie: 780-523-3282
Lac La Biche: 780-623-9640
Peace River: 780-624-4622
Slave Lake: 780-849-4914
St. Paul: (780) 645-5250
Valleyview: 780-524-4449
Wabasca: 780-891-3818

Office of the Child and Youth Advocate

The Office of the Child and Youth Advocate (OCYA) is an independent office of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta, mandated to work with vulnerable young people. Anyone can make a request for a lawyer for a young person.  A court order is not needed.
Toll-free: 1-800-661-3446 OR Northern Alberta: 780-422-6056   

Portage College Public Legal Education

The Portage College Public Legal Education Program is a public service initiative offered in partnership with the Alberta Law Foundation. The program offers learning opportunities to individuals, families, and communities throughout North Eastern Alberta through the provision of information, resources, and education on a variety of legal topics. All requests for information are confidential. The program also offers legal education presentations and seminars throughout North Eastern Alberta in communities, agencies, and schools.
Phone: 780-623-5680

Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Services

The Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (RTDRS) is a fast, inexpensive, less-formal way to settle disputes between landlords and tenants.
Edmonton: 780-644-3000 OR Toll-free: 310-0000, then 780-644-3000

Resolution Services

Resolution Services is a group of programs offered by Alberta Justice and Solicitor General to provide information and assistance to people wanting to resolve common family law issues or access the courts. The Resolution Services Contact Centre can assist clients with Resolution and Court Administration Services, general court and resolution information, and referrals when needed. 
Toll free: 1-855-738-4747