Addictions Helpline

The Addiction Helpline is a toll free confidential service which provides alcohol, tobacco, other drugs and problem gambling support, information and referral to services. The Addiction Helpline operates 24 hour a day, seven days a week and is available to all Albertans.
Toll free: 1-866-332-2322

Centre Albertain D'information Juridique (Alberta Legal Information Centre)

The Centre is operated by the French-speaking Legal Professionals Association of Alberta and provides legal information, guidance and support in both official languages that is confidential and free to persons facing a civil, criminal or administrative law issue.
Toll free: 1-844-266-5822

Alberta Limited Services Legal Project

The Limited Legal Services Project is about helping lawyers provide more limited legal services to more clients, and about letting people who might not otherwise be able to hire a lawyer know that other options are available. Check out their Guide for Clients which is intended to help clients understand the legal service options available, and whether limited legal services are right for you. The site also provides a listing of Alberta lawyers participating in the Limited Legal Services Project.

Alberta Native Friendship Centres Association

There are 21 Native Friendship Centres throughout Alberta. The Friendship Centres have a strong understanding of the needs of the urban Indigenous community. While bound together with a common vision, member Friendship Centres are autonomous and are responsible to respond to needs as identified by their communities. The range of programs and services offered varies greatly and includes, but is not limited to, accredited alternative schools, daycares, youth centres, employment programs, homeless shelters, cultural camps, socio-economic, health promotion and prevention and life skills programs.
Edmonton: 780-761-1900
Hinton: 780-865-5189
Lloydminster: 306-825-655
Red Deer: 403-340-0200;
Rocky Mountain House
: 780-845-2788

Alberta Shelters

Individuals and families can access emergency shelters and temporary housing when they face family violence or homelessness.
Find a shelter online or Call 2-1-1

Alberta Supports Centers

Call for information and referrals to more than 120 social benefits and services for seniors, work or training, income support, disabilities, bullying, family violence, homelessness, child care subsidy and more.
Toll free:  1-877-644-9992

ASSIST Community Services Centre

ASSIST Community Service Centre is pleased to announce that they have invited The Edmonton Community Legal Centre (ECLC) to provide free legal information services to low-income individuals and/or families in the areas of civil claims (small claims).
Phone: 780-429-3111

Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta

The Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta) is the only association of certified translators, court interpreters, and conference interpreters in the province of Alberta.
Edmonton: 780-434-8384
Toll Free (outside Edmonton): 1- 888 434 2842

Central Alberta Community Legal Clinic

The Central Alberta Community Legal Centre offers a number of in-house programs that provide on-going legal representation, advice, legal education and support to people who cannot afford a lawyer and do not qualify for legal aid. Volunteer Lawyers provide information and summary legal advice in the Clinic Program about a variety of legal matters including family, criminal and immigration law, civil issues, guardianship/trusteeship, wills, power of attorney and personal directives. Service is available in Red Deer, Lacombe, Ponoka, Rimbey, Stettler, Olds and Rocky Mountain House.
Phone: 403-314-9129 OR Toll-free: 1-877-314-9129

Central Alberta Women's Outreach Society Legal Clinic

This program provides legal information and referrals to individuals as they navigate through the legal and judicial system.  Staff will assist clients to identify legal issues and prioritize legal needs. The program can help individuals by providing information, educational materials, referrals, advocacy and support. They can also provide court preparation and accompaniment. 
Phone: 403-347-2480

Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta

The Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta (CPLEA) is a public legal education organization dedicated to making information about the law available in readable and understandable language for Albertans. CPLEA uses a collaborative approach to develop materials and strategies for teaching people about the law. CPLEA does NOT provide legal advice or answer specific legal questions.
Phone: 780-451-8764

Centre to End All Sexual Exploitation

The Centre to End All Sexual Exploitation (CEASE) offers assistance for sex trade workers, sex trade buyers and to raise awareness. CEASE builds hope, respect and transformation for those impacted by sexual exploitation and sex trafficking in Edmonton and area. They apply three strategies: heal the harm; build for the future; and champion social equality. CEASE is offering counselling, court support, matched savings workshops, education bursaries, help filing taxes and other supports that people may be interested in.
Phone: 780-471-6137

Children's Legal and Education Resource Center (CLERC)

CLERC offers legal advice, information, representation, referrals and services to children and youth across Alberta. Lawyers at CLERC provide representation to young people 19 years of age and under who have nowhere else to turn for legal support.
Phone: (403) 207-9029

Duty Counsel - Legal Assistance at Court

Duty Counsel are lawyers who provide information, guidance and advice to you prior to your court appearance. Duty Counsel helps people who are unrepresented at their court appearance and can offer limited basic services. Depending on the situation, duty counsel may speak to the court on your behalf. This service is free to all Albertans. If you are unrepresented for your first court appearance, go directly to the courthouse where the matter is being heard and ask to speak to duty counsel.

Edmonton Aboriginal Senior Centre

The Edmonton Indigenous senior Centre is the only Aboriginal senior's centre in Canada and is fulfilling a major resource for Aboriginal seniors living in Alberta. This program creates a meeting and gathering place for social, educational, recreational, spiritual and inter-generational activities. The offering of a variety of daily, weekly, monthly and annual programs and services are aimed to enhance the quality of life and promote active healthy lifestyles for aboriginal seniors.
Phone Number: (587) 525-8969   

Edmonton Community Legal Centre

ECLC offers free legal information and advice to lower income people in the Edmonton area. Contact ECLC for help with any of the following legal issues: family law, landlord and tenant, employment and wrongful dismissal, human rights, debt, small claims, immigration and income support appeals. ECLC does NOT assist with criminal law problems.
Phone: 780-702-1725

Edmonton Immigrant Services Association

EISA provides settlement, integration, adaptation and education services for newcomers. Some of their programs include ESL classes, Information Services and In-School Settlement Services.
Phone: 780-474-8445

Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers

The Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers is a settlement agency that provides a variety of programs for newcomers, including employment services, ESL, personal and settlement counselling, education and advocacy.
Phone: 780-424-7709

Elizabeth Fry Society

EFry has court workers who provide information to both men and women on court procedure and plea options. They also provide referrals to duty counsel and other community resources. The society offers a variety of programs for women and girls including a legal clinic.
Edmonton: (780)421-1175 OR Court Program: (780)422-4775

Family Court Counsellors (Alberta Courts)

Family Court Counsellors provide services, at no cost, to families who are involved in parenting disputes and are living separate and apart. The service is designed for people who are not represented by a lawyer. Services may include: Information on options and services for resolving family issues; Referrals to services and programs including mediation; Information on the effects of separation and divorce on children; Help to negotiate agreements; Assistance with court applications, arranging court dates and presenting the case in Provincial Court.

Indigenous Courtwork Programs - Central Alberta

The purpose of the Indigenous Courtwork Program is to help Indigenous people involved in the criminal justice system to obtain fair, just, equitable and culturally relevant treatment. The Program assists Indigenous people to understand their right to speak on their own behalf or to request legal counsel and to better understand the nature of the charges against them and the philosophy and functioning of the criminal justice system. This program is also able to assist Indigenous people involved in areas of family, child welfare and traffic court.
Rocky Mountain House-Yellowhead Tribal Council (780) 483-9404
Stony Plain-Yellowhead Tribal Council (780) 483-9404

John Howard Society

The John Howard Society of Alberta (JHSA) is a non-profit, charitable organization serving young people without support systems, victims, and people at risk or involved with the justice system. All services are free of charge.
Edmonton: (780) 428-7590 OR Red Deer: (403) 343-1770

Law Central Alberta

Law Central Alberta is a portal or collection of links to law-related information and educational resources on justice and legal issues of interest to Albertans. Their purpose is to create an educated public who understands their rights and responsibilities under the law, and who knows where to go for legal help and referrals.

Lawyer Referral Service

A program operated by the Law Society of Alberta to assist members of the public in finding a lawyer who will provide the legal services they require. LRS will provide you with the names and telephone numbers of three lawyers practicing in this area.  You may then call one, two, or three of the lawyers to make an appointment with them to talk about your legal issue.
Phone: 403-228-1722 OR Toll-Free: 1-800-661-1095

Mental Health Help Line

Provides toll-free, 24/7 telephone service, which offers help for mental health concerns for Albertans. The help line provides confidential, anonymous service, crisis intervention, information about mental health programs and services and referrals to other agencies if needed.
Toll-Free: 1-877-303-2642

Mental Health Patient Advocate

The MHPA helps people who are or have been detained in hospital under admission or renewal certificates and people under community treatment orders (CTO), and those acting on their behalf, to understand and exercise their rights. The MHPA is not part of a provincial health authority, hospital, clinic, or treatment team. The services are free of charge. 
Phone: 780-422-1812 OR Toll Free: 310-0000 then 780-422-1812

Native Counselling Services

If you have been charged with a crime, are involved with Children's Services, or are under 18 and in trouble with the law, an NCSA court worker can help you. They are not lawyers and cannot provide legal advice but they can help guide you through the court process and connect you to resources in the community.

Edmonton: (780) 423-214
Lloydminster: 780-875-2551
Stony Plain: (780) 963-5975
Wetaskiwin: (780) 352-2461
Hinton: (587) 467-8858
Red Deer: 403-347-4377 OR 403-347-4385

Office of the Child and Youth Advocate

The Office of the Child and Youth Advocate (OCYA) is an independent office of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta, mandated to work with vulnerable young people. Anyone can make a request for a lawyer for a young person.  A court order is not needed.
Toll-free: 1-800-661-3446 OR Northern Alberta: 780-422-6056   

Pro Bono Law Alberta - Civil Claims Duty Counsel

Pro Bono Law Alberta (PBLA) is a nonprofit charitable organization that promotes access to justice in Alberta by creating and promoting opportunities for lawyers to provide pro bono (free) legal services to persons of limited means. If you need help with a civil matter in Provincial Court you can visit civil claims duty counsel at the Edmonton courthouse for legal information, advice, help completing forms and help with trials, motions and other appearances.
Edmonton Law Courts
1A Sir Winston Churchill Square
2nd Floor, Provincial Court
Ante Room 262A (next to Courtroom #262)

Pro Bono Law Alberta - Queens Bench Assistance Program

Pro Bono Law Alberta (PBLA) is a nonprofit charitable organization that promotes access to justice in Alberta by creating and promoting opportunities for lawyers to provide pro bono (free) legal services to persons of limited means. The goal of the program is to improve access to justice for self-represented litigants appearing in Queen' Bench Justice and Masters Chambers.
Edmonton Law Courts
1A Sir Winston Churchill Square
2nd Floor, South Tower
Law Library – Room 2028C
(Look for our volunteers with yellow badges)

Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Services

The Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (RTDRS) is a fast, inexpensive, less-formal way to settle disputes between landlords and tenants.
Edmonton: 780-644-3000 OR Toll-free: 310-0000, then 780-644-3000

Resolution Services

Resolution Services is a group of programs offered by Alberta Justice and Solicitor General to provide information and assistance to people wanting to resolve common family law issues or access the courts. The Resolution Services Contact Centre can assist clients with Resolution and Court Administration Services, general court and resolution information, and referrals when needed. 
Toll free: 1-855-738-4747

Sage Seniors Association

The Sage Seniors Association is a community which views the senior as a whole and inspires them to be the best they can be. This association recognizes the diversity of all seniors and ensures they are valued and have the opportunity to live according to their beliefs, abilities and aspirations. Their purpose is to promote socialization, provide services that assist as well as improving a senior's safety and well-being. The Sage community has services dedicated to dealing with elder abuse, guardianship/decision making, help around their home, drop- in counselling, hoarding or clutter, and several other services.
Phone: 780-423-5510

Student Legal Services

Student Legal Services (SLS) is a student-managed, non-profit society dedicated to helping low-income individuals in Edmonton and area understand their legal issues and solve their legal problems.  SLS employs law students who work as student caseworkers on various legal matters. Caseworkers can assist low income Albertans with a variety of civil, family, and criminal law matters. 
Phone: 780-492-8244