A mediator can help guardians cooperate about a child. Family Justice Services’ mediation program provides information and assistance to guardians in dispute. Contact information for the various mediation programs across Alberta is available on the Family Justice Services’ section of the Alberta Courts website at www.albertacourts.ca, under the tab: Court Services. 

Family counsellors and parenting coordinators can also assist guardians who cannot get along. These services may be provided by non-profit or government organizations as well as by private individuals, partnerships, or companies.

If, after trying to find a solution outside of court, guardians are still unable to make decisions together, either guardian can apply to the court for a parenting order that sets out which guardian makes which decisions.


Back to Legal Information > Family Law