If you are the sole guardian or have sole custody of your child, you are the only person with the right to decide where the child lives. You should talk to the other parent about how contact can continue after you move. 

If the other parent is not happy with your suggestion for contact, they can apply to the court for a contact order. 

If there is already a contact order or access order that cannot be followed after you move, then you will need to apply to the court to change it.

The other parent could also apply to the court to become a guardian or joint custodian so that they can have a say in where the child lives, but they would have to show that this would be in the child’s best interests.


Back to Legal Information > Family Law