Yes. If you are the only guardian of your child, or if you have the sole decision-making power over travel for a child under a court order (such as a parenting order or an order for sole custody), you make all the decisions regarding travel for that child.   You do not need the other parent’s permission, or “consent”.

Sometimes, even if you are the sole guardian of your child, law enforcement, such a border guards, require proof that you are a sole guardian or written consent from the child’s other parent to travel internationally. If you cannot get written consent you may need to apply to the court for a parenting order that confirms you are the sole guardian and that consent is not necessary. 


Back to Legal Information > Family Law