​Most biological or adoptive parents of a child are automatically that child’s guardian. If a biological or adoptive parent is not already a guardian they can apply to the court for a guardianship order. Other adults, who are not a child’s biological or adoptive parent, can apply to the court for a guardianship order if the child has lived with them for at least six months (or less in special circumstances if a judge gives permission). These applications are made under Alberta’s Family Law Act. The application forms may be found at courthouses, at Family Law Information Centres, from Family Justice Services, or online at www.albertacourts.ca.


Back to Legal Information > Family Law