No. Family law includes financial obligations former partners may have to each other even if they have no children. Also, family law covers intimate adult relationships where there was no marriage. Sometimes the word used for an unmarried relationship is a “common law relationship”. Under Alberta Law, the legal term used is “adult interdependent relationship”. The laws for these relationships are the Adult Interdependent Relationships Act and the Family Law Act.


Back to Legal Information > Family Law