​Generally, a child’s guardians can make decisions about whom their child can and cannot see. However, in Alberta, grandparents can apply to the Court for a contact order to see their grandchildren in certain circumstances. If you are not able to see your grandchild because their parents have separated or one of them has passed away, you can make an application. If you are not able to see your grandchild for some other reason, for example, if their parents are still together but you are not getting along with them, you will have to ask the Court to let you make an application for a contact order; this is called getting “leave” from the Court. The court will make a decision about your application based on what is in the child’s best interests.


Back to Legal Information > Family Law