Full Time, Permanent (FTE)
About Legal Aid Alberta
Legal Aid Alberta is a Centre of Excellence that helps vulnerable Albertans across the province at some of the most difficult times in their lives. Through professional, effective and accessible services that support better outcomes for our clients, we make a difference in the lives of Albertans and deliver value that extends beyond those who receive our services.
Legal Aid Alberta is seeking to fill a vacancy for a full time LAWYER role in our downtown Calgary office. This position will appeal to an individual that likes to take initiative, is client focused and is exceptionally strong in delivering high-quality results.
Reporting to the Team Lead, some of the key responsibilities of the Lawyer are to:
- Conduct of assigned files to professional standards and in accordance with the Rules and Code of Conduct of the Law Society of Alberta and the Rules of Legal Aid Alberta.
- Duty Counsel practice and conduct to professional standards and in accordance with the Rules and Code of Conduct of the Law Society of Alberta and the Rules of Legal Aid Alberta.
- Negotiate competent resolutions of files to achieve early, cost effective and lasting outcomes for clients.
- Compliance with office policy and procedures.
- Participate in performance and staff meetings as required.
- Education and Experience:
- Law degree from a recognized law school.
- Active member of the Law Society of Alberta.
- 1 to 5 years of experience practicing family law with preference for experience in practice areas including child welfare, child representation and domestic violence.
- Litigation experience.
- Experience in poverty law and working with low income clients.
- Rules of Court and family law legislation.
- Alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and negotiation skills.
- Legal research, writing and drafting, legal analysis, preparation of facts and written briefs, application of law to relevant facts.
- Advocacy, problem solving and conflict resolution.
- A high level of comfort working with technology and a keen enthusiasm for learning new systems including computer literacy of MS Office and web based legal research tools and other web based resources.
- Proficient in the areas of LAA's essential family law services.
- Demonstrated time management and ability to deal with conflicting priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to manage work in high pressure and high conflict situations.
- Ability to investigate facts, identify issues, ascertain organizational objectives, consider alternative solutions, analyze risk and advise clients and/or LAA on the appropriate course of action.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience working with complex clients.
- Understanding of community resources available to complex clients.
Why work for Legal Aid Alberta?
If you got excited at the prospect of being a part of our team when you reviewed this posting and you meet the minimum qualifications, please forward your resume to email@example.com referencing posting number LAA-19-48.
This competition will remain open until July 15, 2020.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.