Full Time, Temporary (FTE) – 12 Month Term
About Legal Aid Alberta
Legal Aid Alberta is a Centre of Excellence that helps vulnerable Albertans across the province at some of the most difficult times in their lives. Through professional, effective and accessible services that support better outcomes for our clients, we make a difference in the lives of Albertans and deliver value that extends beyond those who receive our services.
Legal Aid Alberta is seeking to fill a full time LEGAL ASSISTANT in our downtown Calgary office. This position will appeal to an individual that likes to take initiative, is client focused and is exceptionally strong in delivering high-quality results.
Reporting to the OFFICE MANAGER, some of the key responsibilities of the LEGAL ASSISTANT are to:
- Prepare and manage a large volume of internal and external legal documents, correspondence, and materials in a variety of hard copy and electronic formats.
- Gather, analyze, and organize information provided by clients, opposing counsel, and other third parties for active files or court docket lists including legal, financial, and other documents.
- Perform internal and external communication such as email, phone, fax, mail, and in person in a professional and effective manner.
- Maintain files on database and in hardcopy.
- Manage calendars, book appointments, schedule court dates, file diararization, and prepare supporting materials.
- File documents with court and oversee court running of documents to and from LAA offices to the courthouse.
- Maintain various documents for tracking work completed on legal files and recording of file statistics.
- Commission documents for clients and lawyers and oversee the official service of legal documents on opposing or third parties
- Prepare draft invoices and statement of account.
- Perform basic conflicts search and provide to designated lawyer or manager
- Participate in performance and staff meetings as required.
- Coverage for general reception duties as required.
- Any other duties as directed by management.
- Education and Experience:
- Legal Assistant Diploma or Certificate
- Minimum 5 years' experience working with family and criminal law.
- Knowledge of legal support processes
- Computer literacy, including MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Experience in accurately maintaining a database.
- Experience using various office equipment (printer, copier, fax etc.).
- Demonstrated time management and the ability to deal with conflicting priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous improvement.
Why work for Legal Aid Alberta?
If you got excited at the prospect of being a part of our team when you reviewed this posting and you meet the minimum qualifications, please forward your resume to email@example.com referencing posting number LAA-20-14.
This competition will remain open until FEBRUARY 19, 2020. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.