Legal Aid Alberta is a Centre of Excellence that helps vulnerable Albertans across the province at some of the most difficult times in their lives. Through professional, effective and accessible services that support better outcomes for our clients, we make a difference in the lives of Albertans and deliver value that extends beyond those who receive our services.
Legal Aid Alberta is seeking to fill a full time Assessment Team Lawyer position in our downtown Edmonton office. This position will appeal to an individual that likes to take initiative, is client focused and is exceptionally strong in delivering high-quality results.
Reporting to the Legal Assessment Team Manager, some of the key responsibilities of the Assessment Team Lawyer are to:
- Conduct of assigned matters and opinions to professional standards and in accordance with the Rules and Code of Conduct of the Law Society of Alberta and the Rules of LAA
- Duty Counsel representation to professional standards and in accordance with the Rules and Code of Conduct of the Law Society of Alberta and the Rules of LAA
- Review and approve/reject authorization requests
- Ensure that screening, recording procedures, and eligibility guidelines have been followed.
- Determine the urgency or priority of a client's matter
- Participate in team and project work as required
- Complete and accurate statistical record keeping
- Participate in performance and staff meetings as required
- Education and Experience:
- Law degree from a recognized law school.
- Active member of the Law Society of Alberta
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the practice of law in criminal and/ family law
- Excellent working knowledge of both criminal and family law, including legal processes and relevant legislation
- Excellent understanding of court and tribunal processes, with working knowledge of regional variances
- Legal research, writing and drafting, legal analysis, preparation of court documents, and application of law to relevant facts
- Advocacy, problem solving and conflict resolution
- A high level of comfort working with technology and a keen enthusiasm for learning new systems including, computer literacy in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, CRM), web-based legal research tools, and other web-based resources
- Knowledge of non-legal/community services and resources available to complex clients such as Resolution and Court Administration Services and Edmonton Community Legal Centre
- Demonstrated time management and ability to deal with conflicting priorities and deadlines
- Ability to manage work in high pressure and high conflict situations
- Ability to investigate facts, identify issues, ascertain organizational objectives, consider alternative solutions, analyze risk and advise clients and/or LAA on the appropriate course of action
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively when working with complex clients
Why work for Legal Aid Alberta?
If you got excited at the prospect of being a part of our team when you reviewed this posting and you meet the minimum qualifications, please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing posting number LAA-20-10.
Salary will be commensurate with qualification and experience.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.