About Legal Aid Alberta
Legal Aid Alberta is a Centre of Excellence that helps vulnerable Albertans across the province at some of the most difficult times in their lives. Through professional, effective and accessible services that support better outcomes for our clients, we make a difference in the lives of Albertans and deliver value that extends beyond those who receive our services.
Legal Aid Alberta is seeking to fill a full time ARTICLING STUDENT in our downtown Calgary office. This position will appeal to an individual that likes to take initiative, is client focused and is exceptionally strong in delivering high-quality results.
Reporting to the MANAGING DIRECTOR, JUSTICE SERVICES, some of the key responsibilities of the ARTICLING STUDENT are to:
- Provide assistance to staff lawyers on client files along with management assigned client files to professional standards and in accordance with the Rules and Code of Conduct of the Law Society of Alberta and the Rules of Legal Aid Alberta
- Observe staff lawyers in their role as Duty Counsel, learn and perform the role as Duty Counsel to professional standards and in accordance with the Rules and Code of Conduct of the Law Society of Alberta and the Rules of Legal Aid Alberta
- Conduct legal research and legal writing as requested by staff lawyers
- Negotiate competent resolutions of files to achieve early, cost effective and lasting outcomes for clients
- Provide support to the Corporate and Case management team throughout the articling year term
- Work on projects or initiatives as directed by General or Advisory Counsel
- Successfully complete CPLED requirements throughout the articling year
- Participate in performance and staff meetings as required
- Education and Experience:
- Law Degree from a recognized Law School
- Approval from the Law Society of Alberta to be an articling student
- Rules of Court, criminal and family law, and immigration legislation
- Limited litigation experience
- Negotiation skills
- Legal research, writing and drafting, legal analysis, preparation of facts and written briefs, application of law to relevant facts
- Advocacy, problem solving and conflict resolution
- A high level of comfort working with technology and a keen enthusiasm for learning new systems including computer literacy of MS Office and web based legal research tools and other web based resources
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience working with complex clients
- Understanding of community resources available to complex clients
- Proficient in areas of criminal, family law LAA provides services in
- Demonstrated time management and ability to deal with conflicting priorities and deadlines
- Ability to manage work in high pressure and high conflict situations
- Ability to investigate facts, identify issues, ascertain organizational objectives, consider alternative solutions, analyse risk and advise clients on the appropriate course of action
Why work for Legal Aid Alberta?
If you got excited at the prospect of being a part of our team when you reviewed this posting and you meet the minimum qualifications, please forward your resume to email@example.com referencing posting number LAA-19-40.
This competition will remain open until October 25, 2019. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.