Legal Services Officer
Full Time, Permanent
Legal Aid Alberta is a Centre of Excellence that helps vulnerable Albertans across the province at some of the most difficult times in their lives. Through professional, effective and accessible services that support better outcomes for our clients, we make a difference in the lives of Albertans and deliver value that extends beyond those who receive our services.
Our Client Services Call Centre is currently seeking to fill multiple full time permanent Legal Services Officer positions in our downtown Edmonton office.
This position assesses service and financial eligibility for individuals that contact Legal Aid Alberta (LAA) seeking assistance with a legal matter. The Legal Services Officer (LSO) is responsible to complete an assessment of the clients' legal issues and current financial situation to determine eligibility for services. You will conduct the assessments primarily by phone and transcribe the information gathered in real time into a client relations management (CRM) system. Please note the work environment is within a Call Centre.
- Conducts client assessments to determine financial and service eligibility with respect to criminal, family, civil and immigration law
- Performs client assessment through the creation or updating of a client file and associated matter(s) within the Client Relationship Management (CRM) system
- Responsible for maintaining a high level of professionalism with clients and working to establish a positive rapport with every caller
- Participates in special projects, focus groups, or act as a subject matter expert for client services process or change initiatives as required
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Experience:
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in criminal justice, legal assistant or other relevant education is preferred
- Previous experience interacting with clients to conduct assessments and /or provide service is required
- Prior Call Centre experience would be considered a strong asset
- Typing speed of 40 wpm is required with testing prior to interview
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to organize and transcribe interactions in real-time into a variety of computer applications (CRM tools) is required
- Ability to handle complex inquiries utilizing strong listening and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to build rapport and convey empathy
- Strong sense of teamwork with the ability to foster relationships
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and the desire for continuous learning
- Recognized capability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Ability to work under pressure and adapt to change in a high volume and fast-paced environment
- Client service orientation
- Effective Interpersonal Skills
- You must be able to meet security clearance for Department of Justice databases.
- Applicants selected for an interview will be required to take the typing tests and may be required to take other pre-employment test.
If you are excited about the above position, please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing posting number LAA-19-36.
Thank you for your application, please note that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. This competition will remain open until positions are filled.