​Legal Aid Alberta provides services only in specific areas of law.

Service Areas

Legal Aid Alberta provides coverage most often when:

  • you are facing serious criminal charges
  • you have been charged under the Youth Criminal Justice Act
  • you have child welfare matters
  • you need an emergency protection order
  • your child has been unlawfully removed from or taken to Alberta or a foreign country
  • you have certain immigration issues (a refugee hearing where 'basis of claim' has been submitted)

Legal Aid Alberta does not provide coverage for:

  • Landlord and tenant issues
  • Uncontested divorces and divorces that do not involve custody, child support or spousal support
  • Personal injury, including motor vehicle accidents
  • Consumer rights
  • Law suits including foreclosures and civil claims
  • Commissioner of Oaths and Notary Public services
  • Employment issues
  • Wills and estates
  • Bankruptcy
  • Third party applications
  • Immigration sponsorship

 Legal Aid Alberta sometimes provides coverage for:

  • Divorce – if the divorce is contested or if child support and custody of the children is involved.
  • Divorce – if you are seeking spousal support, or if you are arguing against having to pay spousal support.
  • Division of Property and temporary court-ordered residence in the home after separation.
  • Separation – parenting, child and adult interdependent partner support, guardianship.
  • Immigration - if the issue involves detention hearings, refugee claim, appeals, admissibility hearings, removal appeals and appeals by the Minister
  • Civil law issues - income support matters and adult guardianship/trusteeship when you are the subject of the application
  • Traffic Safety Act offenses - for serious offenses, decided on a case-by-case basis
  • Appeals – Appeals of matters covered by LAA

Get full details on Legal Aid Alberta services here.

Who Qualifies for Service

Many of these services, including adult criminal services, are only available to Albertans who meet the Legal Aid Alberta Financial Eligibility Guidelines.

Financial Eligibility is determined by your family size, the things you own (assets), and your family income after expenses (net income for the last 30 days and the last 12 months). Your family includes you, your children and your spouse or common-law partner.

Financial Eligibility Guidelines

Family Size123456+
Monthly Income$1,638$2,027$2,885$3,120$3,354$3,587
Annual Income$19,653$24,333$34,627$37,434$40,242$43,050

Get full details on Legal Aid Alberta Financial Eligibility here.

What You Need Before You Call

If you think you qualify for service you can speed up your phone call with Legal Aid Alberta by having the following items ready. 

  • Charge documents (i.e. Promise to Appear/Undertaking to an Officer)
  • Financial documents such as pay stubs, bank or income support statements 
  • Any court orders that are in place
  • Any court applications/claims you have made
  • Any legal documents you have been served with
  • Immigration documents (i.e. Basic of Claim)