Legal Aid Alberta is a Centre of Excellence that helps vulnerable Albertans across the province at some of the most difficult times in their lives. Through professional, effective and accessible services that support better outcomes for our clients, we make a difference in the lives of Albertans and deliver value that extends beyond those who receive our services.
Legal Aid Alberta is seeking to develop its Fort McMurray office to provide both duty counsel and full representation of services in criminal and family law. Legal Aid is seeking 2 dynamic individuals to be Staff Lawyers in this office. Must reside in, or be willing to relocate to, Fort McMurray, AB.
- Major position responsibilities for both positions are to act as Provincial Court Duty Counsel for adult and youth matters in both Fort McMurray and Fort Chipewyan which includes interviewing individuals both in and out of custody, assisting them with their court appearances, conducting bail hearings and dispositions as necessary in docket court.
- In addition, one or both lawyers would act as Duty Counsel in Family Provincial and Queen's Bench court.
- The Staff Lawyers will also carry a client file load. This position also provides Legal Aid clients with legal information and advice, and refers individuals to other agencies and programs.
- Fly-in, Fly-out travel will be required to Fort Chipewyan circuit court.
- The ideal candidate will be able to work independently and proactively to support Legal Aid's Strategic Priorities in Fort McMurray and area.
- Successful candidates will be an integral part of LAA's provincial criminal defence team with full practice support from our legal advisory staff in Edmonton and Calgary.
- The successful candidate must have a law degree from a recognized law school, and be a member in good standing or be able to obtain membership) with the Law Society of Alberta.
- Knowledge and experience practicing in both criminal and family law is preferred.
- Experience developing and running a general practice of law is considered an asset.
- Passion for representing clients with complex needs is essential.
- Minimum 3- 5 years of experience.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Northern Living Allowance provided.
If you are interested in the above position, please forward your resume including posting number LAA-19-12 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.