Legal Aid Alberta is a Centre of Excellence that helps vulnerable Albertans across the province at some of the most difficult times in their lives. Through professional, effective and accessible services that support better outcomes for our clients, we make a difference in the lives of Albertans and deliver value that extends beyond those who receive our services.
Vice President, Legal Services & General Counsel
Legal Aid Alberta (LAA) is seeking to fill the role of Vice President, Legal Services & General Counsel in our downtown Edmonton office. The position is responsible for providing leadership, oversight, and direction to LAA's staff law offices and the roster lawyer program across the Province in accordance with the policies, objectives, mandate and strategic objectives established by the Executive team and LAA's Board of Directors. This includes taking responsibility for the effective deployment of divisional staff and roster resources in order to meet the business objectives of the organization.
The Vice President, Legal Services & General Counsel ensures that operations are conducted to the highest ethical standards and align with best practices, including making certain that all legal, regulatory and commercial risks are identified and eliminated or mitigated.
Reporting to the President & CEO, the key responsibilities for this role are:
- Working as part of an integrated executive team to develop and execute business and strategic objectives for the organization.
- Delivery of effective and innovative legal and related services across the province through both staff law offices and roster lawyers, and ensuring a high quality and consistent level of client service in the delivery of those services.
- Development and execution of a divisional business plan that supports and advances the strategic goals and objectives of the organization.
- Providing support and advice to other divisions, program initiatives, and enterprise projects.
- Attending meetings and engaging in discussions with groups or organizations concerned with the enhancement of the justice system in Alberta.
- Maintaining positive relationships with key stakeholders through regular communication and meetings.
- Ensuring that Legal Services operates within approved budget parameters and tracks and reports statistical, financial, and business results.
- Overseeing Legal Services' programs including Regular and High Cost Case Management, Discretionary Coverage Program, Client Coverage appeals, Client Legal appeals, and Roster Management.
- Ensuring organizational legal risks are identified and eliminated or mitigated.
- Maintaining an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
- Providing support and actively participating on the organization's behalf where appropriate in the Association of Legal Aid Plans and the Permanent Working Group.
- Providing legal advice to the President and CEO, the Executive Committee, Divisional Leaders and the Board of Directors when appropriate on matters that impact the organization. Retain and manage external counsel when required.
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Alberta.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in a leadership or executive role that includes legal advisory duties at a senior level.
- Demonstrated passion for serving Albertans - often the most vulnerable among us – as they face some of the most challenging times in their lives.
- Proven track record of successful leadership of diverse groups of individuals and/or business units in a busy work environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to engage with a range of different audiences.
- Experienced consensus builder within a dynamic team environment and an innovative problem solver.
- Ability to understand, translate and incorporate strategic objectives into day-to-day operations.
- Demonstrated commitment to client service and continuous improvement of business processes.
- Seasoned legal advisor who is able to provide sound, practical, solution-based legal advice that aligns with the objectives of the organization.
- Experience in identifying and mitigating legal risks.
- Experience managing and making financial decisions for large business unit within a defined budget.
If you are interested in this position, please submit a covering letter, together with a resume, outlining how your qualifications meet the position requirements to email@example.com referencing posting number LAA-19-05.
This posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Thank you for your application, please note that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.