About Legal Aid Alberta
Legal Aid Alberta is a Centre of Excellence that helps vulnerable Albertans across the province at some of the most difficult times in their lives. Through professional, effective and accessible services that support better outcomes for our clients, we make a difference in the lives of Albertans and deliver value that extends beyond those who receive our services.
Legal Aid Alberta staff provides essential support for the justice system, including criminal, family, and immigration legal services and representation to low-income clients. The Edmonton office is looking for a full-time Lawyer with criminal law experience.
Reporting to the Assistant General Counsel; the Lawyer will provide, as part of a team, legal advice in the areas of criminal, family, and immigration law and to assess clients' needs for legal services based on substantive and financial criteria in Criminal, Family, and Immigration matters.
- Law degree from a recognized law school
- Membership in the Law Society of Alberta (or ability to become a Member).
- Minimum 5 years of experience in criminal law
- Experience or education in areas of poverty law practice
- Excellent working knowledge of criminal law, including legal processes and relevant legislation
- Excellent working knowledge of other legal services
- Knowledge of non-legal services and resources
- Knowledge of public legal information or adult education tools and techniques
- Ability to operate databases, case management software.
- Computer literacy, particularly MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, ACCESS)
- Ability to use web-based legal research tools and other web-based resources
- Organizational skills including the ability to deal with conflicting urgent priorities
- Work closely with lawyers and non-lawyers in a high stress environment
- Maturity, tact and good judgment, particularly when clients are in conflict or crisis
- Provide appropriate and effective advice and information to low-income persons
- Promote a calm, professional working environment
- Understand issues arising when dealing with persons from diverse cultures, persons from low-income or other disadvantaged groups and persons in distress
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills
- Passion or enthusiasm for the provision of legal services to low-income persons and for improving access to justice
Why work for Legal Aid Alberta?
Besides being a part of something that will make you feel good and be proud of where you work, Legal Aid Alberta offers a competitive compensation package, above average benefits package and a great team of people to work with.
If you got excited at the prospect of being a part of our team when you reviewed this posting and you meet the minimum qualifications, please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing posting number LAA-19-01.
This competition will remain open until February 15, 2019. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.