Legal Aid Alberta is a Centre of Excellence that helps vulnerable Albertans across the province at some of the most difficult times in their lives. Through professional, effective and accessible services that support better outcomes for our clients, we make a difference in the lives of Albertans and deliver value that extends beyond those who receive our services.
Based in either Calgary or Edmonton, Legal Aid Alberta is currently seeking dynamic individuals to complete their Articles with us. Successful candidates would be required to spend time throughout in criminal, family, immigration and youth defense departments gaining knowledge of each.
- Provide legal advice and other brief and/or limited scope services to eligible Albertans in the areas of criminal, family, immigration and specified areas of civil law
- Act as Duty Counsel in various departments as needed
- Refer clients to community resources or other recommended programs
- Participate in team and project work as required
Qualifications & Experience:
- Law degree from a recognized law school
- Student-at-law membership of the Law Society of Alberta in good standing
- Experience or education in areas of poverty law practice
- Knowledge of criminal, family and immigration law
- Working knowledge of civil or administrative law is an asset
- Understanding of court and tribunal processes
- Working knowledge of community resources available for vulnerable individuals
- Knowledge of conflict management and Alternative Dispute Resolution techniques
- Ability to operate databases, case management software and phone hardware and software
- Computer literacy, particularly with regards to MS Office (especially Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Ability to use web-based legal research tools and other web-based resources
- Able to work in a high pressure environment and adapt quickly to change
- Active listening, excellent communication skills and an ability to build rapport and convey empathy
- Able to deal with people in conflict or crisis
- Able to provide advice and information effectively and appropriately to vulnerable persons
- Understanding of issues arising when dealing with persons from diverse cultures, persons from low-income or other disadvantaged groups and persons in distress
- Enthusiasm for the provision of legal services to low-income persons and for improving access to justice
If you are interested in the above position, please forward your resume including posting number LAA-18-47 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This posting will remain open until positions are filled.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.