Legal Aid Alberta is a Centre of Excellence that
helps vulnerable Albertans across the province at some of the most difficult
times in their lives. Through professional, effective and accessible services
that support better outcomes for our clients, we make a difference in the lives
of Albertans and deliver value that extends beyond those who receive our
Legal Aid Alberta staff provides essential support for the justice system,
including family law and immigration legal services and representation to
low-income clients. The Calgary office is looking for a full
time Lawyer with family law experience.
Reporting to the Senior Counsel, Calgary Law Office; the Lawyer represents clients referred by the Legal Services Centres with a variety of immigration matters. The role requires extensive preparation and participation in matters before the Immigration and Refugee Board.
- Prepares clients for refugee hearings and to follow up with client regarding decision made and to discuss next steps.
- Works closely with interpreters, reviews police and hospital reports and psychiatric assessments.
- Conducts research on countries of origin and reviews country documentation.
- Conducts research and reads case law to prepare for case, carries a significant case load, and attends all hearings as counsel.
- Assists clients with detention reviews, admissibility hearings, removal appeals, danger opinions, refugee appeals and judicial review of refugee claims.
- Work collaboratively with roster lawyer and local immigration bar.
- Consult with in-house family law lawyers on family law matters that involve immigration issues.
- Law degree from a recognized law school.
- Membership in the Law Society of Alberta (or ability to become a Member).
- 5-7 years of experience in immigration law.
- Experience or education in areas of poverty law practice.
- Excellent working knowledge Immigration Legislation.
- Good working knowledge of family, criminal and other areas of civil or administrative law is an asset.
- Excellent understanding of court and tribunal processes, with working knowledge of regional variances.
- Excellent working knowledge of community resources available for clients.
- Computer literacy, particularly with regards to MS Office (especially Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Ability to use web-based legal research tools and other web-based resources.
- Able to work in a high pressure environment and adapt quickly to change.
- Active listening, excellent communication skills and an ability to build rapport and convey empathy.
- Able to deal with people in conflict or crisis.
- Able to provide advice and information effectively and appropriately to low-income persons.
- Understanding of issues arising when dealing with persons from diverse cultures, persons from low-income or other disadvantaged groups and persons in distress.
- Enthusiasm for the provision of legal services to low-income persons and for improving access to justice.
Why work for Legal Aid Alberta?
Besides being a part of something that will make you feel good and be proud of where you work, Legal Aid Alberta offers a competitive compensation package, above average benefits package and a great team of people to work with.
If you got excited at the prospect of being a part of our team when you reviewed this posting and you meet the minimum qualifications, please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing posting number LAA-18-52.
This competition will remain open until Friday, November 23, 2018. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.