In addition to representing LAA clients, staff lawyers provide a wide range of other legal services including;
- Duty Counsel services in Youth Criminal Court
- Representing claimants at Emergency Protection Order reviews
- Conducting review hearings on behalf of youth detained at protective safe houses under the Protection of Children Abusing Drugs Act
- Assisting inmates at the Bowden Federal Correctional Institution before the administrative tribunal
- Providing community members with legal advice at a free weekly walk-in legal clinic.
Free Walk-in Legal Clinic
The Central Alberta Law Office (CALO) runs a free legal clinic each Tuesday at 1:30pm at their office. The clinic is operated on a first come, first serve basis. Clients do not have to qualify for legal aid beforehand. They are offered approximately 20 minutes with a lawyer to discuss their issue. If they then decide that they need legal representation for their issue, they can apply to LAA for coverage or retain a lawyer privately.